Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Not Your Average Chocolate Candy!

Stained Glass Chocolate Disks:

   In a life of dieting, we often are not allowed any of the comfort foods of life, unless they have been stripped of all things that make them "Comfortable" in the first place. Lots of diets that send you food through the mail and such say "Oh and I can even eat chocolate cake". Whoopdee- doo. You also have to pay through the nose for that. Making these chocolate disks of deliciousness only cost me around 10 dollars. (give or take depending on what you like on them and what you already have in your cabinets).
   This is a great recipe and its simple, which is great for me because I don't like having to go out and buy a bunch of ingredients that I will probably only use once. That is not very cost effective, and where you aren't made out of green, these are a simple and healthy solution to the problem!!
   I called them stained glass just because I think the way the light looks on them and all the different colors reminds me of stained glass. Plus, I didn't want to spend hours coming up with a name for them because I would rather be talking about them to all of you reading this!

Ingredients:

  • 1 /2bag of chocolate chips (over 70% cacao if you can)

  • 1 cup of tropical mixed dried fruits

  • 1 cup of mixed nuts

  • 1/4 cup raisins

This makes about 10 disks with a diameter the size of a drinking glass

   How to make:

Step 1) Prep a baking sheet with parchment paper. If you do not want to buy that, you can use aluminum foil with a coating of Pam. They work equally  well. I used tin foil this time, because I discovered a very empty roll of parchment paper in my cabinet.
 
Step 2) Dump the chocolate chips into a glass, microwave safe bowl. I used half of the bag and it ended up making about 10 disks the size of a cup bottom. I also used Hershey's 60% chocolate chips because I was in a rush at the store and couldn't make it to Trader Joe's to get my favorite 70% dark chocolate. But the darker the chocolate the healthier it is for you.....and the more you can eat, so that's a bonus.
     I heated the chocolate chips in the microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring between each round. It should only take 2 or 3 times before its melted.
 
Step 3) Take a tablespoon and make dollops of chocolate on the parchment paper that are 1 tsb. serving sizes. Make sure not to spread it around, just let it settle on its own.
 
Step 4) Take your mixed nuts and fruits or whatever else you would like to decorate the disk with and drop them onto the chocolate. You will want to do this before it starts to harden.

 




Step 5) Once you have fully decked out your stained glass chocolate disk creations, put the pan into the fridge and let set for 10 minutes or until the chocolate is fully hardened.









These were supper easy to make and even better to eat and enjoy. In the end, they end up being about 88 calories a piece. It depends on what you put on them, but they are very low calories. If you used a darker chocolate than I did, they will be even less!!!

I hope you enjoyed this mini recipe and enjoy eating them even more!

Remember to take pictures of your creations and email them to youwantmetoeatwhatblog@gmail.com I will make a post of all of my favorite follower creations in the future.

Happy cooking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment