A Whole New Take on Breakfast, Sandwiches & Eggs
Ever since I was a kid I had a hard time with breakfast. I never knew what I wanted to eat. (Well, actually I did know. I wanted leftovers from dinner.) But cold pizza every morning isn't the healthiest thing, and my mother knew that all too well. She did her best to try and find me a breakfast food I liked, and she succeed several times. The trouble is I got BORED of the same old breakfast foods.Now as an adult who is on the journey of becoming healthier, eating better and trying to learn lots about cooking (which may or may not have something to do with convincing my boyfriend to marry me haha), I have found lots of new ways to eat breakfast and be happy about what I am eating. No more slimy oatmeal, no more plain eggs, no more toaster waffles. I bring to you....
The Open Faced Ham, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich
Can we please just have a moment to appreciate the glory that is this breakfast sandwich?! I mean this is gorgeous and delicious.
Ingredients:
- 1 Large Egg (Cooked over hard) - 70 Calories
- 1 slice Deli style sliced Colby & Monterey Jack Cheese (Great Value Brand) - 70 Calories
- 2 organic Grape tomatoes - 8 Calories
- 1/4 cup diced Green Pepper - 7 Calories
- 1 slice toasted Honey Wheat Bread (Great Value Brand) - 70 Calories
- 2 pieces Thinly Sliced Smoked Turkey Breast ( Great Value Brand) - 25 Calories
- Black pepper to taste
That adds up to a grand total of only 250 Calories!!! That is a gorgeous breakfast, low calories and it is absolutely delicious. Plus, did I mention it makes only 3 dishes to wash!! That's right, this is a One Pan Wonder!
So how do we make this thing of beauty? You literally need the skill set of a 12 year old in Home Economics Class (Before the end of the year, I might add).
Step1) Using a small frying pan, heat a very small amount of oil. I set my stove to level 5.5. But I have an old stove and a dial, so just on medium heat for whatever stove or hot plate you are using.
Step 2) Crack that EGG! Crack the egg into the pan and use your spatula to keep it from spreading around too far. You want it to stay smaller than the size of your bread. You can use an egg form if you want. Lots of people use the tops of mason jar lids. I am a minimal utensil fan, so I just keep it in check with my spatula instead. Top the egg with your preferred amount of black pepper, but DO NOT add salt if you can help it. Keeping sodium to a low starts with avoiding extra salt.
This egg is cooked over hard. If you would rather scramble it or do something else you can! I just think that this way is low maintenance and keeps your sandwich from being too messy or hard to hold together. If you do not know how to do an egg over hard, NO PROBLEM. Click here to see an easy to follow tutorial on how to cook an Egg over hard! And don't feel bad, its something I learned just last year anyways! Its easy and a good skill to have for breakfast sandwiches.
Step 3) While the egg is setting up, chop up about a 1/4 cup of green pepper. You can use red, orange or yellow if you prefer and you can use more! Raw foods are unlimited when it comes to healthy and clean. Also cut in half two or three grape tomatoes. Using the tip of your knife, CAREFULLY, try to scoop out the seeds and liquidy-stuff inside the tomatoes. That will prevent them from getting too squishy and wet.
If you have other veggies you prefer then by all means change this up. That is the beauty of cooking. You can make it your own and change it to suit your own personal tastes!
Step 4) Dump your chopped goods into the pan and flip your egg. It should be golden brown on the bottom. If its not, just flip it back over and wait another minute or so. You can add extra pepper to your veggies if you prefer. Just wait for a minute or two to let them cook and get softer. They tend to take the pepper better when they have cooked a bit.
![]() |
| As you can see, I kept my egg pretty under control with just my spatula. I have not yet flipped it here, but its-a-comin'!! The veggies have just been added and they are cookin' away! |
Step 5) Once your egg has been flipped, you can add the cheese slice. Tear it down the center and overlap it in the middle of your egg slightly. If it is hanging off the edges too much it gets caught up with the other stuff in the pan and burns the edges of the cheese. Not good. Not what we want.
NOTE: that we cannot flip the egg back over once you put cheese on it. So make sure the side you are "cheesing" is cooked/browned up to your liking.
Step 6) Toast your bread. I did mine in the toaster, nothing fancy. Just stick in the toaster and let it go while you finish.
Step 7) Once your egg is cooked to your liking you can pull it out and set it aside on a plate. I wouldn't set it on the bread just yet, that will make it soggy because it will sit there for a few minutes while we finish cooking.
Step 8) Toss in the slices of lunch meat. You can use more than 2 if you like. The serving size on the package is 4 slice, and I only 2. But if you add more slices, you increase the calories by double. Two was plenty for me and my low calorie allotment of only 1,300 a day. Let the lunch meat cook up with the veggies. Flip it over two or three times within the 2 or 3 minutes you cook it. Just cook it till its slightly browned and warmed up.
NOW IT IS TIME TO CONSTRUCT OUT TASTY MASTERPIECE!!
Step 9) Lay the toast down on the plate. Stack on top of it your cheese cover egg, cheese side up, then your lunch meat and last but certainly not least, the veggies!! And There you have it.
A delicious sandwich using all the stuff we usually have in our fridge and cabinets. I love this because it is simple, easy and makes virtually NO mess. Which means a lot because my boyfriend doesn't do dishes...ever. This breakfast pairs well with a good cup of Organic Green Tea and a good Crossword puzzle, Episode of Grey's Anatomy or just Good Conversation. Regardless, it is a perfect twist on a boring everyday egg.
Enjoy and I will talk to you next time!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment